Phased Array Ultrasonic testing is an advanced ultrasonic technique used to detect component failures such as cracks and flaws and can be applied for inspection of welds, thickness measurements, corrosion inspection and flaw detection.
Phased array ultrasonic system generates an ultrasonic beam utilizing multi-element probes, which are capability of setting beam parameters such as angle, focal distance and focal point size through computer-controlled excitation.
PAUT is used to detect flaws that cannot be easily found with conventional non-destructive testing methods such as radiography and manual ultrasonic testing.
Applications of Phased Array
- Weld inspection
- Volumetric inspection of forging or casting materials
- Corrosion mappingÂ
- Scanning highly complex geometry componentsÂ
Phased array can detect:
- Weld flaws such as lack of fusion, slag inclusions, porosity, inside diameter / outside diameter cracks, centerline cracks and incomplete penetration.
- Erosion or corrosion â€“ pitting, material loss and root erosion.
- Discontinuities in forged or casting materials such as laminations, forging bursts, cold shuts, hot tears and inclusions.